*EN/DE: Cobalt makes the good look bad / Cobalt lässt die Guten schlecht aussehen / D.Major

Information about the racectrack / Informationen rund um die Rennbahn
Gesperrt
Greyhound-Forum
Administrator

*EN/DE: Cobalt makes the good look bad / Cobalt lässt die Guten schlecht aussehen / D.Major

Beitrag von Greyhound-Forum »

COBALT IS MAKING GOOD PEOPLE LOOK BAD;

STATEMENT ON COBALT TESTING IN GREYHOUNDS:
Derek A Major BVSc MACVSc CMAVA

I have been in Equine Veterinary Practice since 1989. In January, 2014 I was granted an Animal Care and Ethics Permit to perform cobalt excretion studies in horses, and I have been performing various trials on the urine and blood levels of cobalt in horses following routine administration of common vitamins and minerals. I have been involved in providing advice and evidence to horse trainers charged with breaching current cobalt regulations in Thoroughbred and Harness Racing.

I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in the sport of Greyhound racing. I am however deeply disturbed that the industry has followed the lead from horse racing and imposed a urinary threshold on cobalt in dogs. I believe that the horse threshold was developed on inadequate and flawed science.
I am a strong champion of animal welfare, and I fully appreciate regularity authorities’ concern to protect the welfare of dogs and horses. I would condemn any attempt to wilfully dose any animal with large doses of cobalt, for perceived performance advantage.

Cobalt is an essential trace nutrient in mammals. Its sole role is as a structural component of the Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) molecule, which is essential to red blood cell function.

I have 3 areas of concern:

1. Urine is the wrong test medium

Cobalt is one of a group of elements classified as “heavy metals”. This group includes iron, copper, zinc, arsenic, selenium and lead, among others. Some of these are essential to life, in varying quantities – cobalt being one of them. Characteristic of heavy metals is the tendency to accumulate in a number of body tissues. High levels can lead to signs of toxicity. Cobalt intoxication has been reported in humans, and lead poisoning is recognised in many species.
When a horse or dog is exposed to a continued low level of cobalt levels in the blood plasma and red cells rises. Most of the cobalt in blood is bound to plasma protein, and ultimately is incorporated into the red blood cells, where it remains for the life of the cell – around 120 days. This may account for 90% of the cobalt in blood, and is NOT measured in urine tests.

Urine testing simply measures the free ionised cobalt “spilling over” into the urine. Urine testing measures what “was” in the animal” not what “is” in the animal.

Indeed, such simple factors as water intake and concentration of the urine can have a profound effect on urine cobalt levels. As a starting point it is essential to correct measured levels against urine creatinine or specific gravity.

The more appropriate test is that adopted.

2. Cobalt is not performance- enhancing

Interest in illicit cobalt use as a performance-enhancer in racing horses and dogs can be traced back to some speculative articles in the lay press from the sport of Cycling. It was proposed that cobalt in humans might stimulate erythropoietin (EPO), and lead to increased red cell production. This speculation comes from discussions in the scientific literature dating back to the 1940’s and even 1930’s, which referred to laboratory studies on rabbit and rat red blood cells.

Such studies as have been done in horses have failed to support this proposal, showing No increase in red cells and NO increase in haemopoietin, even after very large doses of cobalt.

Given the120 day life span of red blood cells any such effect would require dosing months before racing, and raceday urine testing would be irrelevant. Furthermore, given the massive reserves of red blood cells stored in the spleen it is highly questionable whether increasing the count would make the horse run faster or slower.

3. Uncontrolled Population Studies are Flawed

The horse urine level was set on the basis of statistical analysis of an uncontrolled population study. Without reliable knowledge of the total cobalt exposure of each individual in the study, the “normal” range cannot be defined. I understand a parallel approach has been adopted for Greyhound Racing. Total exposure includes “native” cobalt in the feed, water and environment, as well as legitimate vitamin and mineral supplements, in addition to any illicit administration.

Greyhound Racing does not need to invent a new “scandal”.

Having previously stated my disinterest I can only observe that Greyhound Racing in New South Wales is struggling to improve its reputation in the public eye. In my opinion Horse Racing has suffered a severe loss of reputation in recent years, and many trainers have been unfairly disadvantaged, on the basis of flawed and inadequate science. I would urge the Grey hound industry NOT to follow that path.
Association of Racing Commissioners
International. Cobalt in blood plasma is measured, and sanctions applied when the level exceeds 25ppm.
🔹🔹🔹LIKE & SHARE🔹🔹🔹

Much more to come on this subject, we have been busy #ProudProRacers, but we're awake to what is a silent killer of our sport, losing trainers for providing animal welfare is unacceptable and smacks of animal extremist input! 😡

The thresholds are too low, the testing never included dietary intake, nor did it allow for natural accumulation of the micro mineral. On top of all that, testing for cobalt needs to be done via blood, a simple occurrence of a small urine sample can be enough to push levels above 100 due to the high concentration.

Thresholds need to be set at a number that clearly shows misuse. 300+ would be a good start. This would allow for standard animal welfare practices to continue, especially with things like vitamin, mineral and electrolyte supplements... punishing good people for taking care of their dogs is wrong.
The bottom line is cobalt is NOT a DRUG, nor is it a performance enhancer! It's a naturally occurring essential micro-mineral.
#LearnTheFacts
Bild
Nur wer einmal seinen Windhund jagen gesehen hat, der weiß, was er an der Leine hat!
Michaela
Greyhound-Forum
Administrator

Cobalt lässt die Guten schlecht aussehen

Beitrag von Greyhound-Forum »

Cobalt lässt die Guten schlecht aussehen
Erklärung zum Cobalt Test bei Greyhounds
Derek A Haupt BVSc MACVSc CMAVA
Ich bin seit 1989 als Pferdetierarzt tätig. Im Januar 2014 erhielt ich eine Tierpflege- und Ethikerlaubnis für Cobalt-Exkretionsstudien bei Pferden und ich habe verschiedene Studien über den Harn- und Blutspiegel von Cobalt bei Pferden durchgeführt, die einer Routineverabreichung von üblichen Vitaminen und Mineralstoffen folgte. Ich habe Pferdetrainer, die wegen Verletzung der geltenden Cobalt-Vorschriften bei Vollblut- und Trabrennen angeklagt sind, beraten und Beweise vorgelegt.
Ich habe kein finanzielles oder sonstiges Interesse am Greyhound-Sport. Ich bin jedoch zutiefst beunruhigt darüber, dass die Industrie dem Beispiel des Pferderennsports gefolgt ist und Cobalt bei Hunden eine Obergrenze im Urin auferlegt hat. Ich glaube, dass diese Grenze im Pferderennsport auf unzureichender und fehlerhafter Wissenschaft aufgebaut wurde.
Ich bin ein starker Verfechter des Tierschutzes und schätze das Interesse der Behörden, das Wohlergehen von Hunden und Pferden zu schützen. Ich würde jeden Versuch verurteilen, ein Tier mit hohen Dosen Cobalt absichtlich zu dosieren, um einen wahrgenommenen Leistungsvorteil zu erzielen.
Cobalt ist ein essentieller Spurennährstoff in Säugetieren. Seine einzige Rolle erfüllt Cobalt als struktureller Bestandteil des Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) -Moleküls, das für die Funktion der roten Blutkörperchen essentiell ist.
Ich habe 3 Problembereiche:
1. Urin ist das falsche Testmedium
Cobalt gehört zu einer Gruppe von Elementen, die als "Schwermetalle" klassifiziert sind. Zu dieser Gruppe gehören unter anderem Eisen, Kupfer, Zink, Arsen, Selen und Blei. Einige von ihnen sind lebensnotwendig, in jeweils unterschiedlichen Mengen - Cobalt ist einer von ihnen. Charakteristisch für Schwermetalle ist die Neigung, sich in einer Reihe von Körpergeweben anzusammeln. Hohe Konzentrationen können zu Anzeichen von Toxizität führen. Beim Menschen wurde über eine Cobaltvergiftung berichtet und bei vielen Arten ist eine Bleivergiftung bekannt.
Wenn ein Pferd oder ein Hund einem anhaltend niedrigen Cobaltspiegel im Blutplasma ausgesetzt ist, steigt die Anzahl der roten Blutkörperchen. Das meiste Cobalt im Blut wird an Plasmaprotein gebunden und schließlich in die roten Blutkörperchen eingebaut, wo es für das Leben der Zelle verbleibt - ungefähr 120 Tage. Dies kann 90% des Cobalts im Blut ausmachen und wird NICHT in Urintests gemessen.
Urin-Tests messen das frei ionisierte Cobalt, das in den Urin übergeht, zur Ausscheidung. Urintests messen „was war" in dem Tier nicht „was ist" in dem Tier.
In der Tat können so einfache Faktoren wie die Wasseraufnahme und die Konzentration des Urins eine tiefgreifende Wirkung auf das Cobaltniveau im Urin haben. Als Ausgangspunkt ist es wichtig, die gemessenen Werte gegen Kreatinin in Urin oder spezifisches Gewicht zu korrigieren.
Der geeignetere Test wäre vermutlich der oben vorgeschlagene.
2. Cobalt ist nicht leistungssteigernd
Das Interesse an illegalem Cobalt als Leistungsverstärker bei Rennpferden und -hunden lässt sich auf einige spekulative Artikel in der „Laienpresse“ aus dem Radsport zurückführen. Es wurde behauptet, dass Cobalt beim Menschen Erythropoietin (EPO) stimulieren und zu einer erhöhten Erythrozytenproduktion führen könnte. Diese Spekulationen stammen aus Diskussionen in der wissenschaftlichen Literatur, die bis in die 1940er und sogar 1930er Jahre zurückreichen und sich auf Laborstudien an roten Blutkörperchen von Kaninchen und Ratten bezogen.
Gleichartige Studien die bei Pferden durchgeführt wurden, konnten diese Behauptung nicht unterstützen, da sie keinen Anstieg der roten Blutkörperchen und keine Zunahme des Hämopoietins zeigten, selbst nach sehr hohen Dosen von Cobalt.
Angesichts der 120-Tage-Lebensdauer der roten Blutkörperchen würde eine solche Wirkung erfordern, dass Monate vor dem Rennen schon dosiert wird und Urintests am Renntag wären irrelevant. Angesichts der riesigen Reserven an roten Blutkörperchen die in der Milz gespeichert sind, ist es außerdem sehr fraglich, ob eine Erhöhung der Anzahl das Pferd schneller oder langsamer laufen lassen würde.
3. Unkontrollierte Populationsstudien sind fehlerhaft
Der Pferdeurinspiegel wurde auf der Basis einer statistischen Analyse einer unkontrollierten Populationsstudie festgelegt. Ohne zuverlässige Kenntnis der Gesamt-Cobaltkonzentration jedes einzelnen in der Studie kann der "normale" Bereich nicht definiert werden. Ich verstehe, dass für Greyhound Racing ein paralleler Ansatz gewählt wurde. Die Gesamtkonzentration umfasst "natürliches" Cobalt in der Nahrung, Wasser und Umwelt sowie legitime Vitamin- und Mineralstoffzusätze zusätzlich zu jeder illegalen Verabreichung.
4. Greyhound Racing braucht keinen neuen Skandal erfinden
Nachdem ich zuvor mein Desinteresse geäußert habe, kann ich nur beobachten, dass Greyhound Racing in New South Wales darum kämpft, seinen Ruf in der Öffentlichkeit zu verbessern. Meiner Meinung nach haben Pferderennen in den letzten Jahren einen starken Rufverlust erlitten und viele Ausbilder wurden auf der Grundlage mangelhafter und unangemessener Wissenschaft unfair benachteiligt. Ich würde die Greyhound Industrie dazu auffordern, diesem Weg NICHT zu folgen.
Verband der Rennkommissare:
Cobalt im Blutplasma wird gemessen und Sanktionen verhängt, wenn das Niveau 25 ppm überschreitet.
Übersetzt von Anja Ulrich fürs Greyhoundforum.
Bild
Nur wer einmal seinen Windhund jagen gesehen hat, der weiß, was er an der Leine hat!
Michaela
Gesperrt

Zurück zu „Racetrack / Rennbahn“