EN: Ex Racers in the news

Antworten
Greyhound-Forum
Administrator

EN: Ex Racers in the news

Beitrag von Greyhound-Forum »

COUSIN JAXX – A BORN SURVIVOR
I was wondering if you’d like a piece for the Star website about a dog of mine, Cousin Jaxx, who has recently retired and just arrived in Germany where he will see out his days with former Irish Oaks finalist Solo Star for company.
I bought Jack as a very young puppy, and travelled to Ireland several times during his rearing and schooling. He was always a very relaxed friendly dog, with a great attitude – nothing phased him.
He was only ever going to be a grader but he was as genuine as they come, and he had a nice touch of early. I moved him from Henlow, where Jason Bloomfield was training him, to Kim Gooding at Peterborough, with another of my dogs going in the other direction. The move turned out well as both were better suited to their new tracks, winning soon after moving.
Jack was gradually moving up the grades at Peterborough, and won a race on December 8th in his best time to date, he was clearly still improving.

But the following morning he was quiet and off his food, and on Sunday he was very listless. Thankfully Kim realised something was badly wrong and rushed him to the vet.
I had phone call form the vet who basically said ‘your dog is dying, do you want me to operate on him?’. He had a twisted gut, and a fairly large section of his large intestine was necrotic. The vet removed the best part of a foot from his gut and rejoined the ends.
He was astounded that Jack was alive, let along standing in his waiting room before being seen, and said he was an extremely tough animal. The prognosis was fairly good if he got through the next 72 hours without developing peritonitis.

To all our amazement he bounced back so fast, after a few days you wouldn’t know anything had happened if it wasn’t for the impressive scar on his belly.
After getting the all clear from the vet, we decided to trial him back and he surprised us by running a decent sprint straight away.

Less than two months after his surgery he was racing, and although he missed his break that night and finished fourth, he won his next race by eight lengths in his best time, getting a GD rating of 90 in the process.
A few more races followed before the next big drama in Jack’s life. ON April 10 he was on the way to the track in Kim’s van when they were involved in a bad accident – an HGV hit the back of trainer Paul Steward’s van, which in turn hit Kim’s they were both stationary at the time.

Jack was in the cage at the back, nearest the impact – the cage broke open and he was thorn the length of the van and ended up wedged behind the driver’s headrest.
Remarkably he only suffered a few cuts and extensive bruising but no broken bones. In typical Jack style he ate up his dinner that night and generally acted like nothing had happened, despite being very sore.
After six weeks off he was back racing again, but on his second outing he picked up a wrist injury. Having had very little success in rehabilitating dogs with this sort of problem before, I decided that Jack deserved to put his feet up.
Thanks to a contact made through his breeders, Eva and Natalie Abedi in Co Cavan, he headed off to Germany this week to his new home. He lives with two other retired greyhounds and two French bulldogs.

After arriving very tired and sleeping for the first day, his new owner Steffi says he has settled in brilliantly, and I hope they have many happy years together.
George Sell
Source:
http://greyhoundstar.co.uk/readers-lett ... -47W_GY0xw
Bild
Nur wer einmal seinen Windhund jagen gesehen hat, der weiß, was er an der Leine hat!
Michaela
Antworten

Zurück zu „UK Information / Informationen aus England“